Sound Waves – Worksheet
- This worksheet covers:
- Definition of a sound wave
- Generation of sound waves
- Compressions and rarefactions
- Graphical representations of sound waves
- Frequency, wavelength and speed of sound
- Pitch and loudness
- The decibel scale
- Human perception of sound
- Transmission, reflection and absorption of sound waves
- Unit outline.
- Cloze activity (fill in the blanks).
- Short-answer questions.
- Extension questions.
- Topics for further research.
- Teacher version containing complete answers.
- Aligned to the Australian Year 9 Science curriculum.
- 11 pages.
- By the end of this worksheet students will be able to:
- ☑ Define what sound waves are and explain how they are generated.
- ☑ Describe compressions and rarefactions.
- ☑ Draw and interpret graphical representations of sound waves.
- ☑ Describe the relationship between frequency and pitch, and between amplitude and loudness.
- ☑ State the frequency range of human hearing and define ‘infrasound’ and ‘ultrasound’.
- ☑ Compare sounds with different intensities and decibel levels.
- ☑ Perform calculations involving the frequency, wavelength and velocity of a sound wave.
- ☑ Perform calculations involving distance, time and velocity of a sound wave.
- ☑ Describe the behaviour of sound waves when they encounter different types of boundaries.
This resource is also included in the.