The Scientific Method – Worksheet
- This worksheet covers:
- Making observations
- Qualitative and quantitative observations
- Making an inference
- Formulating a hypothesis
- Conducting a fair test
- Dependent and independent variables
- Control variables
- Test groups and control groups
- Accepting or rejecting hypotheses
- Scientific theories
- Scientific laws
- Comparing theories and laws
- Topic outline.
- Short-answer questions.
- Research Activity.
- Set of 15 flashcards covering key definitions.
- Teacher version containing complete answers.
- Aligned to the Australian Year 7 Science curriculum.
- 13 pages.
- By the end of this worksheet students will be able to:
- ☑ Identify the key steps in the scientific method, in the correct order.
- ☑ Distinguish between qualitative and quantitative observations.
- ☑ Give examples of qualitative and quantitative observations.
- ☑ Distinguish between observations, inferences and predictions.
- ☑ Identify the five senses.
- ☑ Give examples of qualities that can be observed using each of the senses.
- ☑ Formulate a hypothesis for an experiment.
- ☑ Describe the key features of a fair test.
- ☑ Identify the dependent variable in a fair test.
- ☑ Identify the independent variable in a fair test.
- ☑ Identify control variables in a fair test.
- ☑ Explain why there can be only one independent variable in a fair test.
- ☑ Explain why control variables need to be kept constant during a fair test.
- ☑ Identify assumptions made during a fair test.
- ☑ Discuss how group size and number of repetitions affect the reliability of a fair test.
- ☑ Distinguish between factual and non-factual statements.
- ☑ Describe the features of a scientific theory.
- ☑ Describe the features of a scientific law.
- ☑ Distinguish between scientific theories and scientific laws.
This resource is also included in the.